Organization: Bahar Organization
Closing date: 18 Feb 2021
Legal Assistance Advisor Duties:
- Work closely with HQ and Syria-based Program Team, and Social Cohesion Program Advisor to provide advice and inputs to assist in implementing legal assistance activities.
- Support capacity of Program Team to oversee, support, and monitor legal assistance activities.
- Advice on the methodology for conducting relevant legal service and justice system assessments and mapping activities, support capacity development of assessment team(s), and assist to finalize assessment reports.
- Lead development of procedural, management, and information systems and materials (e.g., SoPs, protocols, handbooks, and forms) to be used by the legal assistance team, in coordination with the Program Advisor.
- Develop materials and conduct capacity building training with the legal assistance team.
- Provide regular advising and follow up with legal assistance teams.
- Assist program team to evaluate and adaptively manage legal assistance team and legal assistance activities.
- Assessment of legal assistance team capacities (baseline report).
- Development of training plan for legal assistance teams.
- Development of training materials for legal assistance teams.
- Delivery of training for legal assistance teams.
- Status assessment of formal justice system methodology and final report) (in collaboration with the team).
- Legal assistance service mapping methodology and final report (in collaboration with the team).
- Pathways for Justice analysis (value chain) methodology and final report (in collaboration with the team).
- The legal assistance assessment tool.
- Regular meetings with the program team.
- Regular advisory counseling sessions with legal assistance teams following training and start-up.
- Provide safeguarding, justice pathways analysis report.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree in law.
- At least 4 years of experience in legal aid matters.
- Demonstrated and significant experience in practicing criminal or civil law, or administrative or regulatory law, preferably as a legal aid service provider, public defender, or with extensive pro bono experience.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-linguistic environment.
- Experience establishing and supporting legal aid clinics preferred.
- Prior experience working with USAID, INL, DRL, or other donor-funded access to justice projects strongly preferred.
- Fluency in the Arabic language required. Competency in Kurdish and/or English language a plus.
How to apply:
The post will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.