Since the defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in December 2017, vast return movements to liberated areas of origin have been witnessed all over Iraq. IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has now recorded the return of 4.2 million IDPs to their area of origin. However, following the initial wave of return movements, this pace of return is slowing, leaving the remaining IDP population at risk of protracted displacement. There are still critical, unmet humanitarian needs for crisis affected populations in Iraq who are still in displacement and who have recently returned. This situation has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the framework of the partnership between IOM and Yazda, the Dohuk-based International Organization, the latter is supporting livelihood, MHPSS, protection and support to the education system among other areas of work addressing the needs of IDPS in Sinjar. Further, as part of this partnership IOM is committed to support Yazda’s team in delivering sustainable services at scale ensuring the utmost respect for international criteria of good management in perform their major functions.
The consultant selected for this position is expected consult and engage with all levels of the decision-making and implementing actors within Yazda including Board members and international senior appointees, review current communication processes, review existing policies in the field of Yazda’ s mandate in order to obtain a general assessment of whether its internal organizational structure is fit to carry out the tasks that are assigned to it. The examination of working methods and procedures set up to carry out its activities will help to establish a diagnosis of how it functions and to develop recommendations aimed at streamlining tasks and decision-making processes in order to improve efficiency. The organizational audit, which will shed light on the organization of Yazda and how it operates, should make it possible to develop a strategy to strengthen, conceptualize a tailor-made training package, facilitate capacity development and institution strengthening, etc
Under the guidance and supervision of Yazda’s Country director and in close coordination with IOM’s (Community Stabilization Unit’s Programme Coordinator for Northern region), the consultant will issue a set of actionable recommendations and improvement pathways contributing to the overall successful achievement and sustainability of Yazda’s intervention in the different strands of activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conduct extensive consultations with US and UK-based Yazda’s board members and Dohuk-based Country Director’s team to better understand the internal decision-making process, communication, engagement with donors and outreach strategies, etc.
- Make recommendation to existing guidelines, policies, and internal instructions and if needed, develop detailed strategy for effective implementation of the different operations under Yazda’s diverse portfolio.
- Assess and propose recommendations to the existing management for strategy and business planning
- Develop general performance benchmarks and measurable indicators to monitor and evaluate every step within the Capacity Development component
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to all project partners to enhance performance and quality assurance, share knowledge, and build capacity
- Develop tools for workforce planning, succession planning and internal performance management
- All these documents, plan, methodology, are to be presented in English.
- Prepare a presentation and action plan for IOM’s general evaluation.
Deliverables and Detailed Timelines:
The Consultancy is for two (2) Months with an all-inclusive payment schedule as per the below indicative timeline and deliverables. Payment shall be subject to IOM’s receipt and approval of the report due.
Delivery Date **
A consolidated summary outlining the outcome of the discussions with Yazda board and country teams, highlighting challenges, gaps, and opportunities.
31 March 2021
Mid-point advance payment 30% upon satisfactory completion of deliveries (15 March 2021)
A report with the assessment of the internal decision-making process, existing guidelines, policies, and internal instructions of Yazda.
The assignment is expected to begin on March 01, 2021 and to have duration of two months.
· Master’s degree, preferably in social science, international development, public administration, economics or other relevant field from an accredited academic university or institute.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum 15 years of professional development experience in project management at the international level (senior or mid-level positions required)
- Experience in implementing, designing, and demonstrated understanding of project management and coordinating diverse and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven experience evaluating internal organizational processing from International NGOs and/or UN Agencies.
- Proven experience evaluating multi-national based organizational humanitarian structures, and advising on efficient structural setup.
· Fluency in English and Arabic are required.
· Any other language is an advantage.
· Ability to effectively coordinate with government, NGO, and local stakeholders essential.
· Analytical and conceptual ability; demonstrated understanding and application of Human Capacity Development methods.
· Experience in developing and implementing stabilization, including social cohesion and livelihood, interventions (desired)
· Strong networking and interpersonal skills, ability to plan, organize and coordinate work and to cope with a demanding workload is expected.
· Previous experience similar assignment with IOM, UN or donors is an advantage.
The position is a home-based assignment with an all-inclusive modality. Subject to the consultant availability and lifting of the travel restrictions to Iraq and visa issuance, IOM and the consultant might envisage a field trip to Dohuk (Iraq). If possible and agreed upon with the candidate, the costs of travel will be covered by IOM, as per internal regulations and rules.
31 March 2021
An institutional strategy containing recommendations for potential restructuring of the organization from the strategic, operational, communication, management and decision-making process.
30 April 2021
70% upon satisfactory completion of the final deliverables.
Develop general performance benchmarks and measurable indicators to monitor and evaluate impact of the Capacity Development pack
30 April 2021
Deliver a report and presentation of key findings to Yazda and IOM with actionable recommendations
30 April 2021
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.