Background: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Ventures invests in and fuels high-impact enterprises working in frontier markets from seed to scale. We’ve supported 32+ early-stage ventures developing solutions in climate resilience and financial resilience, so that those living in frontier markets can withstand disruption and plan for the future. Learn more at www.mercycorpsventures.vc
Purpose / Project Description: Our goal is to accelerate global financial inclusion by advancing innovative, responsible blockchain, digital assets, cryptocurrencies and other digital financial solutions that help people join the global economy and lift themselves out of poverty. MCV will invest in and support a portfolio of solutions that leverage emerging technologies and business models. We will also co-design and execute pilots and proofs of concepts with fintech, crypto and blockchain ventures to build the evidence base, build MC’s capacity in this area, and generate learnings and insights to promote financial resilience. The Ventures team believes that while capital is important, ultimately it is only a part of the solution. We strongly believe that integrative investment and product development/piloting pays dividends by not only making companies more successful, but also by ensuring that companies maximize their positive social impact.
Objectives: The purpose of this consultancy is to support pilot partners as they design and implement pilots that will test the feasibility, impact and scale potential of cryptocurrency solutions across emerging markets. The consultant will work alongside the MCV team and our pilot partners to develop an impact measurement framework, communications plan, outreach articles and more for each pilot.
Learn more about the portfolio of our piloting work here:
The below activities should be completed for each pilot, alongside the MCV team, pilot partners and other stakeholders as relevant.
- Set up impact measurement and monitoring frameworks
- Develop a communications strategy for disseminating pilot insights, identifying key stakeholders and outreach partners
- Draft communications content and materials for eventual publication in media outlets
- Support contracting, invoicing and payments to pilot partners from Mercy Corps
- Support pilot partners on design and implementation of pilots
- Provide regular updates to MCV team on pilot progress
- Troubleshoot and solve and challenges that arise throughout the piloting process
- Generate insights, learnings and recommendations throughout the pilot and at the end
- Impact framework with populated KPI data for each pilot
- Communications strategy for each pilot
- Launch article and results article for each pilot
- Internal progress updates on a regular basis
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5-10 years of experience in relevant technical field
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education
- Strong project management experience leading complex engagements with multiple stakeholders ● Extensive work experience in emerging markets and startups
- Familiarity with impact measurement and management concepts
- As the pilots are focused on crypto and web3, we expect interest in and willingness to learn more about crypto and web3 topics (expertise not required)
- Ability to remotely manage and coordinate with stakeholders and implementers
- Written and oral fluency in English required
Timeframe / Schedule:
The consultancy will begin in June 2022 and will have a 3-month duration, with possibility of extension. The consultant is expected to work 1-2 days per week.
The consultant will report to: Director of Operations & Strategy, Mercy Corps Ventures
The vendor will closely coordinate with: Mercy Corps Ventures Pilot partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply
To apply: http://app.jobvite.com/m?32lermwT