Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. As a part of our mission, Mercy Corps has been implementing the integrated Food Security and inclusive Access to resources for Conflict-Sensitive Market Development (FARM) program, which seeks to improve stability for men, women, boys and girls through improved land governance and access to land, as well as the development of a more efficient and inclusive market environment for over 250,000 direct and indirect beneficiaries, in the chiefdoms of Bashali (Masisi) and Bwisha (Rutshuru).
Purpose / Project Description:
As the FARM program nears completion, MC is seeking research support to review the data and analysis collected in the program regarding the links between food security and conflict and the impact the program has had on these dynamics, and to prepare a research brief on those findings in collaboration with our Technical Support Unit (TSU).
The Consultant will perform the following activities remotely, and can be based in any location in the world: :
- Review draft reports from previous research conducted by FARM and raw data that has been collected by the program team
- Consult with FARM team members to obtain any additional information to complement or complete the draft reports and raw data
- Write a synthesis report with an overview and analysis of the main findings from the research
The Consultant will deliver:
- Synthesis report with an overview and analysis of the main findings from the research
- 10-minute Powerpoint presentation with an overview and analysis of the main findings from the research
Timeframe / Schedule:
- Anticipated start date: 1st of May, 2021
- Anticipated date of completion: 30th of May, 2021
- Estimated 20 working days that can be conducted remotely
The Consultant will report to:
- Senior Advisor, Peace & Conflict, TSU
The Consultant will work closely with:
- Senior Food Security Advisor, Food Security and Nutrition, TSU
- FARM Program Team
- DRC Program and Quality Team
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5-10 years experience conducting research, including analysing and synthesizing data
- Proficiency in French and English (both written and oral)
- Knowledge of the DR Congo is a major advantage
- Knowledge of peace & conflict programming is an advantage
- Knowledge of food security programming is an advantage
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.