Position Title: Consultant – Communications
Duty Station: To be determined
Classification: Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Consultant, eleven months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 24 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project Context and Scope
As part of IOM’s mission to uphold the well-being of migrants and communities, IOM made an institutional commitment to improve its environmental performance and mainstream environmental sustainability in its strategies, projects and programs, and facility management and operations. The Environmental Sustainability Unit under the Deputy Director General for Management and Reform is responsible for supporting IOM to implement this commitment.
Since 2017, IOM has been part of the UN system-wide environmental sustainability efforts coordinated via the UN Greening the Blue. In 2019, the Strategy for Sustainability Management in the UN System 2020-2030; Phase I: Environmental Sustainability in the Area of Management was endorsed by heads of UN Agencies, including IOM. In 2021, Phase II: Towards leadership in environmental and social sustainability of the strategy was adopted to provide a system-wide framework for sustainability efforts.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
The Communication Consultant will support the Environmental Sustainability Unit to implement the Strategy for Sustainability Management in the UN System 2020-2030, with a special attention to communication, branding and behavioural change. The Consultant will encourage behavioural change in support of the sustainability transition in IOM, through designing a global environmental communication campaign, supporting the roll out of the environmental risk assessment framework for projects and programs and the environmental inventory process for facilities and operations. The Consultant will also support the Unit with setting up internal and external communication channels to encourage the exchange of best practices across the organization. The Consultant will also support IOM Country Missions to highlight their good practices through producing original external and internal communication materials. The Consultant will be part of identifying ways to innovative in the sectors IOM is active in, for example, by settings up awareness-raising or communication campaigns.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Environmental Sustainability Unit at IOM Headquarters, the Consultant’s responsibilities will include:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Tasks to be performed under this contract
- Design a global environmental communication campaign, supporting the implementation of IOM’s environmental sustainability commitments, the roll out of the environmental risk assessment framework for projects and programs and the environmental inventory process for facilities and operations.
- Develop internal communication materials, raise awareness and support to build staff members’ capacity globally on IOM’s environmental sustainability commitments, its environmental risk management system and environmental inventory systems.
- Support the Unit with setting up internal (including SharePoint and Intranet) and external communication channels (including IOM’s Greening the Blue webpage and IOM’s official website) to encourage the systematic exchange of best practices across the organization.
- Support IOM Country Missions to highlight their good practices through producing original external and internal communication materials, including but not limited to articles, webinars, podcasts, videos, social media messages and adjustable templates.
- Set up awareness-raising and communication campaigns around relevant international days and events.
- Ensure the adoption and mainstreaming of environmental sustainability principles in IOM through encouraging behavioural change via novel communication practices and materials.
- Design communication materials for online and offline dissemination to present the environmental risk management and environmental inventory systems and their integration into IOM’s project development and management systems, including making user guidelines and webinars user-friendly and appealing.
- Coordinate with relevant technical staff, staff development and learning, monitoring and evaluation teams to ensure the long-term sustainability of communication and behaviour change initiatives.
- Engage with communication focal points at the IOM Country Mission level as needed.
- Design guidelines and raise awareness amongst communication focal points on how to mainstream environmental sustainability in communication products and processes.
- Support IOM Country Missions implementing projects with an environmental sustainability aspect (e.g. e-waste, clean energy access) with developing external communication materials such as, but not limited to, flyers, factsheets, blog articles and toolkits.
- Liaise with relevant partners and internal/external stakeholders to receive their feedback throughout the process.
- Perform other duties assigned by the direct supervisor.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- All communication materials are designed to a high quality and in line with all relevant IOM guidelines (communication, branding, publication).
- The Consultant responds to feedback and comments by relevant stakeholders and quickly and effectively integrates suggestions and recommendations in their work.
- The Consultant delivers all work in accordance with the established timeframes.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in the field of Communication, Public Information, Public Relations, Psychology, Behavioural Science, Journalism, Media Studies or a related area with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing communication campaigns with an environmental and/or behavioural change focus;
- Demonstrated experience in planning, designing and executing communication materials and setting up communication programs and channels;
- Experience in supporting organisations to develop strategies and frameworks to achieve their communication and/or environmental goals, such as reducing carbon emissions, energy, waste and water consumption.
- Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills;
- Sound understanding and interest in environmental sustainability, migration, development, communication and/or humanitarian issues;
- Excellent skills in drafting, editing graphic design and audio-visual media;
- Online communication and social media skills.
- Exposure to working with international organisations, including in the development and humanitarian sectors;
- Have a good understanding of the existing United Nations system-wide environmental sustainability frameworks, strategies, and action plans; • Proven ability to meet reporting deadlines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Duty station could be Geneva, Switzerland or Homebased.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in English, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specifying suitability (e.g. technical skills and experience) and availability date.
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical monthly salary/financial proposal and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
- Quotation / financial proposal for a monthly remuneration in USD.
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the name of the consultancy above: [Communication Consultant] as subject. The deadline for applications is 24 January 2023.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 24 January 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 09.01.2023 to 24.01.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2023 02 Consultant – Communications – To be determined (57919462) Released
Posting: Posting NC57919463 (57919463) Released