Terms of Reference
Consultancy for proposal development – Education sector
Education for All in South Sudan – FCDO program
Humanity & Inclusion Programme :
Objective of the mission:
Design, develop and budget HI proposition for the Education for All in South Sudan – FCDO program application (2 applications)
Duration of the assignment:
2 to 3 weeks
Location of the mission :
Latest update of the Terms of Reference:
- November /2023
Humanity and Inclusion
Humanity and Inclusion -HI (the new name and re-branding of Handicap International since January 2018) was founded in France in 1982. In 2009, the HI Federation was established in Brussels. The membership of the Federation has since expanded to eight countries, namely; France, Belgium, UK, USA, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Canada. HI vision asserts: “Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we, aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”. HI is an independent and impartial aid and development organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. Currently, HI is present in at least 55 countries, with its humanitarian programs reaching at least 2 million people. In 1997, HI along with other partners was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its international campaigns to ban landmines sale and use. For further information about HI please visit: https://hi.org/ and http://www.hi-us.org/ and https://humanity-inclusion.org.uk/en
Humanity and Inclusion in South Sudan
HI has been operating in South Sudan since 2006, implementing emergency and development actions aiming at improving protection, quality of life, and the promotion of rights of vulnerable individuals, including people with disabilities. HI’s current portfolio adopts an integrated and multi-sectoral approach that includes interventions centered on MHPSS, Protection, Functional Rehabilitation and livelihoods, with disability inclusion as a crosscutting theme across all programmes. In 2021, HI established a base in the greater Unity, which remains among the most conflict states of the country and recoding a high number of persons with disabilities. The operational context in South Sudan today is considered largely humanitarian/emergency while phasing in resilience programming in some areas. The ongoing peace initiatives, if they succeed, might result in huge population movements of returnees (both IDPs and refugees) across the country.
HI’s current interventions are funded by BHA, MOFA Luxembourg, South Sudan humanitarian Fund (SSHF), GFFO and the Crisis and Support Centre of the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs. In South Sudan, HI focuses it’s intervention in Protection, Health (MHPSS, reproduction health and physical rehabilitation), inclusion in humanitarian action, and livelihood. HI works in close collaboration with the South Sudan Humanitarian Clusters (Health, Protection, Food Security & Livelihoods and Education), UN agencies and Government departments (Health, Agriculture, Education, Gender and Youth, and Relief & Rehabilitation Commission). HI is also an active member of the South Sudan NGO Forum.
As part of its strategy, HI South Sudan is prepositioning to strengthen its programming by participating to the Education for All in South Sudan programme funded by FCDO through a commercial contract (detailed information about the program and partners will be disclose to the selected candidates).
DESCRIPTION OF THE REQUIRED SERVICE PROVISION
1. Objectives of the consultancy
The main objective of the assignment to develop a full proposal meeting the FCDO requirements and ready to submit, according to the donor deadline. HI will be a sub-awarded in the consortium, the consultant will therefore be responsible for developing HI approach as part of a larger consortium.
This will be done in close collaboration with HI team in HQ in South Sudan, HI’s HQ education specialist and HI UK team. This consultancy will be under the responsibility of the Technical Head of Programme in South Sudan. The consultant is however responsible for ensuring the quality of the full proposal narrative and budget, including the coherence of the proposed strategy, the technical quality, the consistency with HI mandate within the expectation of the consortium lead.
- Familiarize themselves with the formats and reference documents relating to the FCDO call for tender, which will be launched in October 2023;
- Familiarize themselves with documents relating to the humanitarian context in the proposed area, particularly in the education sector;
- Conduct face-to-face and/or remote interviews and meetings with the various stakeholders in the development of the project (HI team, and partners);
- Define the intervention logic and the technical aspects of the project with HI and the partners and ensure that the strategy is in line with the guidelines of the call for tender;
- Draft the project documents in the format required by FCDO/consortium lead, including support work for the consortium members in order to present a project guaranteeing an integrated approach to the intervention themes.
- HI technical offer based on the requires format
- HI financial offer, including HI internal and external budget of the project proposal, in full coherence with the description and on the basis of a close collaboration with the HI financial Manager in South Sudan and the HI financial controller at headquarter.
- Any requested annexes
2.Expected results and deliverables.
Result 1 : Scoping meetings have been organized with consortium partners and HI relevant focal point (at field and HQ level) throughout the proposal writing process to ensure the coherence and technical quality of the proposed approach
- Deliverable: logical framework validated by HI and consortium lead.
Result 2: HI narrative and financial offer in the donor format is finalized and validated by HI.
- First version of the technical and financial offers for discussion with HI and partners.
- Second version of the technical and financial offers
- Last version of the technical and financial offers
Result 3: The required annexes are finalized and validated by HI
- Deliverable: Required annexed according to the call for tender
The time required for the assignment is estimated at a maximum of 18 working days. The technical bid must include a detailed work plan proposal.
Below is a tentative timeline, the consultant is responsible for proposing a timeline according to his/her availability as part of the technical proposal.
Task Development of ToRs and recruitment of the consultant
Time Frame : Re-Advert
Task : Release of the call for tender
Time Frame : 9h of December
Task : Organization of the briefing and scoping meetings
Time Frame : 21-22st November 2023
Task : Development and validation of the logical framework
Time Frame : 24th of November 2023
Task : Presentation of the logical framework
Time Frame : 27th of November 2023
Task : First version of the technical and financial offer (for feedback)
Time Frame : 5th of December 2023
Task : Second version of the technical and financial offer (if necessary)
12tth of December 2023
Final version of the technical and financial offer including annexes
Time Frame : 13h of December 2023
Task : Feedback and validation workshop
Time Frame : 14th of December 2023
The consultant must have proven knowledge of and experience in:
- Master’s level 2 or equivalent in humanitarian aid and/or international project management, education and/or disability right and/or inclusion expertise.
- Experience in development of projects/programs in the education sector.
- Previous experience with HI is an valuable asset.
- Knowledge of procedures and guidelines of the FCDO commercial contract Framework
- Experience in successful proposal writing for FCDO is an asset
- Experience in successful proposal writing in consortium set-up is an asset
- Experience in South Sudan context is an asset
- Experience in disability rights and inclusion
The consultant would master the following skills:
- Writing and communication skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural team to tight deadlines.
- Coordination skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Working language: English
The consultant must respect HI policies:
- Description of the mission, scope, principles of intervention and charter
- Quality framework: Project Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Policy
- HI Policy on Protection of Beneficiaries from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- HI Child Protection Policy
- HI Anti-Fraud and Corruption Policy
- HI Gender Policy
- Code of Conduct: Prevention of abuse and protection of people
How to apply
How to apply
Applications must be submitted through an email to: email@example.com before 17th of November 2023 with the following title “Consultancy offer – Education for All in South Sudan proposal development”
a ) About the consultant:
- Curriculum vitae (education, experience in the above-mentioned fields, lists of main publications) of the key persons responsible for the study
- A minimum of 2 references from previous consultancies developing project proposals, if possible including FCDO and/or commercial offers
- A signed letter of submission guaranteeing the availability of the expert during the consultancy period;
- Administrative documents :
- Documents proving the consultant’s registration and any other documents certifying to the regularity of his/her activity
- Evidence that government taxes have been paid
- Insurance certificate (third party liability),
- Equivalent (proof that the Service Provider has paid social security contributions)
- Affidavit (as specimen in the Kit) about compliance with certain articles of the Labour Code
- Certificate from your tax office or equivalent
- Bank details
- Identification documents (Passport/ID)
B) About the technical and financial proposal:
- A methodological proposal for carrying out the assignment, including at least: understanding of the issues in the terms of reference; presentation of the methodological framework
- A timetable, detailing the stages of the consultancy assignment in line with the ToR
- A financial proposal in USD, including VAT and WHT, including all costs