The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a research project that records, publishes, and analyses disaggregated data on global disorder. The data are publicly available along with information about the project at www.acleddata.com. The data are used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of conflict to informing diplomatic policy, humanitarian programs, and development work in conflict-affected contexts.
ACLED is recruiting a full-time Communications Officer to support brand management, marketing, publications, and graphic design work for the project. The ideal candidate will have experience with public relations and outreach, a creative eye for branding and design, and communications skills to translate complex data and analysis into digestible resources and compelling visual products for a diverse audience.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Brand Management, Marketing, and Outreach: Support the development and execution of ACLED’s branding strategy by improving current branding practices and overseeing branding for future projects. Assist the Sales and Fundraising teams with client and donor outreach, including the design and production of brochures, welcome packets, proposals, and other resources as required.
- Publications: Coordinate layout and design for ACLED analysis products – such as reports, press releases, and fact sheets – as well as methodology documents and user guides, internal policies, and other written materials as required. Work with the Web Manager to publish finalized content online.
- Graphic Design: Support ACLED’s outreach and user engagement by creating custom designs for social media visuals, infographics, newsletters, and other promotional materials as required. Work with the Web Manager to make design decisions for ACLED’s web infrastructure and ensure design and branding coherence across ACLED content. Assist the Research and Analysis teams with designs for data visualization outputs, including by developing visual style guides and color schemes, creating custom icons and templates, etc.
- Audiovisual Production and Editing: Work with various ACLED departments to produce and edit audiovisual content – including but not limited to training videos, event clips, podcasts, and social media promotional videos – for both internal and external use.
- Administrative Support: Provide general administrative support to the Head of Communications as needed, as well as ad hoc support to other departments.
Skills and competencies:
ACLED is seeking applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Fluency in English (essential);
- Fluency in other languages, especially French, Arabic, and/or Spanish (preferred)
- Experience with InDesign or similar software (essential)
- Experience with graphic design, publications, and audiovisual production and editing (essential);
- Experience with brand management and public relations;
- Experience with social media like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn;
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Good judgment and extremely high attention to detail;
- Experience with Cision, Salesforce, and Mailchimp (preferred);
- Experience with data and quantitative research (preferred);
- Enthusiasm for communications, as well as a drive to master new platforms and tools;
- 2-3 years of experience in communications, publications, or public relations in the non-profit and/or research sector (preferably focused on peacebuilding, conflict, human rights, and/or global affairs)
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.