Family Planning 2030 (FP2030) is a global partnership of governments, civil society, multilateral organizations, donors, private sector, and researchers committed to supporting the rights of women and girls who wish to use contraception. Our vision is a future where women and girls everywhere have the freedom and ability to lead healthy lives, make their own informed decisions about using contraception and having children, and participate as equals in society and its development.
Since our founding in 2012, much has been achieved, but more remains to be done. The global family planning community agreed that the gains of the last nine years should be sustained by extending this pivotal partnership. Through a global consultation, stakeholders from around the world provided their input on the future of family planning. Together, the community created a shared vision for 2030 that builds on progress achieved to date, adapts the partnership in response to the lessons of the first nine years and positions us to achieve the future women and girls around the world are asking for.
The FP2030 Support Network will include five regional hubs: North, West and Central Africa; East and Southern Africa; Asia and the Pacific; and Latin America and the Caribbean, and North America and Europe, led by an Executive Director who reports to the Governing Board. Each hub will be headed by a Managing Director supported by a small team. The hubs will be hosted by NGOs in five cities where the hubs will be located. The creation of these regional hubs is the key element of FP2030’s new structure, which will be put in place in 2022.
Amref Health Africa has been selected as the host of the FP2030 East and Southern Africa Regional Hub.
The Officer, Communications reports to the Advocacy, Accountability & Partnerships Manager. This position serves as the lead for all the Hub’s communications functions.
Reporting to the Manager, Advocacy, Accountability & Partnerships will work closely with the rest of the Hub team. They will also collaborate closely with FP2030’s Director, Communications located in the North America & Europe (NAE) Hub, their Communications team, the Hub Advocacy, Accountability & Partnership Manager, and with Communications teams at all Hubs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Executive communications projects for the Hub, including managing the production of all Hub communications materials, in line with FP2030 design guidance.
- Ensure consistent language, tone, and branding for all externally facing products and platforms, working closely with the NAE Hub’s Communications team to ensure consistency of messaging and positioning across FP2030.
- Support the Hub’s presence at regional convenings and events, including logistical work, collateral design, and staffing.
- Support and contribute to the production of FP2030’s annual progress report, collaborating closely with the NAE Hub’s Communications team.
- Manage communications consultants on an as-needed basis, which may include external editorial, design or media support.
- Support external partner networks to facilitate their strategic engagement with FP2030’s and with the Hub’s platforms, channels, and messaging.
- Develop content for communications materials such as web stories, op-eds, press releases, fact sheets, talking points, and event briefings as needed, working closely with the NAE Hub’s Communications team as appropriate.
- Work with new and existing FP2030 commitment-makers in the region to promote commitments and amplify success stories from existing commitments, working closely with the NAE Hub’s Communications team as appropriate.
- Work with the Hub team to support the team’s communications priorities and to amplify success stories from the region.
- Support the translation of FP2030 products as needed, working closely with the NAE Hub’s Communications team and with the Officers, Country Engagement, making use of external translation support as appropriate.
- Collaborate with consultants and other staff as needed to advance communications work across the region.
- Provide regular updates on the progress of communications work in the region, including to the global FP2030 Communications network and FP2030 Senior Leadership; draft content for reports to funders, Senior Leadership, and key external stakeholders as needed.
Other relevant duties
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent standard of education required, preferably in communications, digital media, journalism, international relations, global health, or other directly related field.
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in communications or public relations.**
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in and passion for global health, family planning, reproductive health, international development, or women’s rights issues strongly desired.
- Demonstrable track record of successful communication projects executed in previous roles.
- Experienced in communications and managing processes to successfully adhere to product schedule and quality standards.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills.
- Knowledge of national and regional media environment and familiarity with journalist networks preferred.
- Experienced in social media strategy development and implementation.
- French language proficiency preferred.
- Knowledge of design programs preferred.
- Strong critical thinking, decision-making, and project management skills.
- Team player with adaptable and pragmatic approach to work, able to work independently as well as with a team.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills and the ability to meet deadlines and deliver objectives on time despite time constraints and pressure situations.
- Ability to think strategically and help drive projects from inception to implementation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural competencies.
- Written and spoken fluency in English (professional fluency in French or Spanish is an asset).
- Politically astute with a good understanding of the bigger picture, culturally sensitive and diplomatic.
- Enthusiastic and motivated about FP2030’s vision, mission and values.
- Willingness to travel (up to 20%).
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performance of the position responsibilities. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements nor meant to exclude other duties as assigned.
How to apply:
Please visit our website https://amref.org/job/communications-officer-fp2030/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Closing date will be May 13, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Amref & FP2030 value equity-centered leadership and commits to furthering its racial and social justice values and commitments by integrating them into the organizational culture and weaving them into its global partnership work.
- Groupings for the North, West & Central Africa and East & Southern Africa hubs reflect the Africa Union’s sub-regions, which have been grouped together.
- Women, people with disabilities, and candidates openly living with HIV, are highly encouraged to apply.
- Amref is an equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.Amref is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.