Reports to: Chief Marketing and Development Officer
The communications internship is an ideal way to learn about how PHR uses strategic communications to further its impacts. As an integral part of PHR’s communications team, the communications intern will assist with media relations, publications, online communications, and social media, and will actively contribute to producing the materials and messaging for PHR’s mission and work. The communications intern will attend departmental and staff meetings, as well as regular learning and social events with other interns and staff from PHR to round out their learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring. PHR internships are unpaid. Candidates may be able to arrange academic credit and should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Track relevant news stories on human rights violations around the world.
- Research, write, proofread, and copy-edit social media, blog posts, web content, newsletter articles, press releases, and other communications materials.
- Run reports and use Google analytics to track website traffic and online ad campaigns.
- Track PHR’s media coverage and compile and organize media lists.
- Research journalists and outlets covering topics and regions related to PHR’s work.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study specializing in communications, journalism, international relations, or other relevant major.
- Interest in communications work in a nonprofit setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to facilitate a project from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and professionally.
- Mature judgment, confidentiality, and capacity to work independently.
- Sense of humor a plus.
Location and Hours
- The internship will be entirely remote due to PHR’s evaluation of coronavirus health risks. PHR welcomes applications from candidates located out of state/country.
- The internship starts in February and requires at least a 10-12-week commitment.
- Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
How to apply:
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Include “Communications Intern, Spring 2022” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.