Communications & development advisor
Join For Water is aninternational non-governmental organization with over 40 years’ experience. We are experts in promoting integrated water resources management to improve communities’ sustainable access to safe drinking water and sanitation.
Join For Water focuses on the conservation, protection and management of freshwater resources and their ecosystem services across a range of sectors. Our aim is to increase the economic and social benefits of water resources in a sustainable and equitable way, while preserving and restoring the ecosystems of which they are an integral part.
We design and implement interventions on a local or regional scale, focusing on building local know-how and promoting better policies. Establishing and strengthening links between beneficiaries, stakeholders, knowledge institutions and decision-makers. Want to find out more? Visit www.joinforwater.ngo.
General purpose of the role
The Communications and Development Advisor (CDA) will support and develop the capacity of Join For Water’s local partners in Africa, in key domains that will allow the increase of their impact, operations and funding streams. To achieve this, the CDA will focus on the development and professionalisation of communications, exchanges, relations and events in our partner-countries. Based in one of our African offices and holding an international position, he/she will develop the bridge to our international activities, exchanges and networks. Doing so, he/she will contribute to the realization of our shared mission to protect freshwater resources and increase socio-ecological resilience.
You will lead the professionalization of the external communications by:
- Assessing capacity needs and gaps, provide capacity building exercises and coaching where necessary.
- Leading the communication strategies and the realization of subsequent plans
- Streamlining the external communications among countries and building the bridge to international activities and exchanges;
- Capturing relevant messages and translating them to different channels (newsletters, social media, project proposal ideas, and other knowledge products that can be used at events, network meetings and exchanges).
You will lead their growth in visibility, networks and programmes by :
- Identifying and engaging with relevant African national, regional and continental networks and forums relevant to our shared strategy and ambitions to grow;
- Expanding and nurturing the networks among relevant African and international actors by building and maintaining direct relations, initiating and coordinating collaborations (consortia, partnerships and synergies, and others);
- Facilitation of exchanges and learning
You will support the organisation of external events by:
- Supporting the development and execution of professional events, where our joint strategy, programmes and other knowledge products can be shared and distributed;
- Streamlining and professionalizing the events among the countries.
You will help in the development of donor relations and project proposals by:
- Finding support for partner project ideas and proposals through the exploration of the landscape and new opportunities in each country, the facilitation of contacts/relations, and helping to shape the right message at the right time;
- Supporting the development of project proposals for partner activities;
- Providing capacity building and coaching to partners in the development of project proposals.
To be successful in this position, we seek a profile that is:
- Fluent in English and French, both written and spoken.
- Experienced in communications and in creating clear and concise messages on complex topics.
- Strong in organisation and planning, functioning in a complex collaboration- and reporting environment (multiple countries, HQ).
- Outgoing and communicative, having a strong experience in networking, external representation and the development of relations.
- Proactive self-starter who can work independently with limited supervision.
- Prior experience in the environmental sector, understanding the concepts and challenges related to the protection and conservation of (freshwater) ecosystems and their services to vulnerable populations, climate change, … is a plus.
- Experience in drafting project proposals for institutional, bilateral and multilateral donors and foundations, such as the European Union, embassies and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are a plus.
- Prior experience working in other countries.
- Willing to travel to/between JFW’s countries.
This position is open to all nationalities.
The CDA will be stationed in one of Join For Water’s countries in Africa (Benin, Burundi, DR Congo, Mali, Uganda). He/she reports to the Head of Programmes at Join For Water’s headquarters, will collaborate closely with the communications department, and will have a functional reporting line to the Country Coordinator at the duty station.
Compensation & benefits:
- National candidates based in one of Join For Water’s countries will be remunerated according to JFW national scales. Scales vary depending on the country. As a reference, the monthly salary for a candidate with 10 years’ experience in Uganda is 1.300USD/month.
- International candidates, not based in one of Join For Water’s African countries, will receive an additional compensation for international mobility: a monthly stipend averaging around 1.000USD/month. Visa and relocation costs are covered by Join For Water.
- Benefits include an additional 13th month salary, compensation for daily commute, and hospital insurance
Duration of employment can be ensured until the end of the current funding cycle (December 2026), and may be extended depending on new funding.
How to apply
We invite you to submit your application no later than 11.59 pm on Thursday, November 30th , 2023. Electronic submission of applications is required and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the following reference in the subject line of your email: “CD advisor”.
The file must include:
- A cover letter with your motivation
- An up-to-date CV, including an overview of work experience, personal contact details and three references to contact
- Scanned copies of all relevant diplomas and letters of recommendation
- A copy of your identity card
The selection process is as follows:
- Incomplete applications will not be considered,
- Candidates shortlisted on the basis of a CV and cover letter will be invited to take part in a next phase of the selection process with a practical test,
- The last stage of the selection process is an interview.
Equal opportunities: Join For Water is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, disability status, religion, color, race, marital status or other characteristics. Applications from women and candidates from minority groups are particularly encouraged.