Chief of Party (East Africa)
DRS is looking for a Program Manager for an INGO that works in the international development sector, as well as in internationally oriented areas of private and public sector organizations to deliver highly innovative services and solutions that strengthen institutions and improve organizational performance in developing countries worldwide.
Job Title: Chief of Party
Contract: Minimum of 2 years
Location: East Africa
Starting date: May 2023
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for all functions under the USAID project. (S)he will give technical direction, oversee project implementation and management, steward the performance of the implementation strategy, and – as INGO’s main point of contact with USAID – will ensure a collaborative relationship with the Mission. The COP is responsible for financial and program management, oversight, reporting progress against deliverables, supervision of field staff, and other supervisory responsibilities.
Responsibilities and tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing strategic vision and overall leadership;
- Supervising all long-term, field-based staff (approximately 17);
- Ensuring the provision of timely, relevant, high-quality services from both in-country, long-term staff, and short-term consultants;
- Supervising all internal project responsibilities and tasks, including finance and operations;
- Ensuring timely information on the progress and status of all activities under the Cooperative Agreement, including but not limited to the timely delivery of required reports in the format(s) agreed;
- Leading technical resources to meet USAID project’s needs;
- Ensuring the submission of on-time, high-quality program deliverables;
- Developing, maintaining, and supporting relationships with local civil society and government partners, and USAID;
- Establishing clear lines of communication between USAID and INGO to identify and resolve problems;
- Providing direct supervision and mentorship for both Deputy Chiefs of Party (Technical and Finance/Grants/Administration);
- Overseeing mentorship throughout the USAID Activity team;
- Leading continuous improvement efforts;
- Ensuring compliance and integrity across all USAID Activity operations.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field such as political science, global governance, international relations, public policy/administration, social studies, or economic development.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in collaborating with and coordinating citizens, civil society, and government, and advocating reforms, in coordination with relevant ministries and other development partners in East Africa;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in leading governance/civil society engagement activities with an increasing level of leadership roles such as leading projects or managing a team;
- USAID experience is required; Experience with multiple international/multilateral donors is advantageous;
- Demonstrated experience in building partnerships and facilitating constructive dialogue with national, sub-national, and regional government officials for improved service delivery;
- Must have experience working with and building capacities of community organizations and civil society organizations (CSOs); Demonstrated ability in building capacities of CSOs to advocate for gender equality and equitable service delivery;
- Experience in high-level budget management is required;
- Experience in grants management and oversight is preferred;
- Experience in education, electricity, justice, and health sectors is not required, but advantageous;
- Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural, complex teams;
- Excellent diplomatic skills in dealing with governmental officials as well as leading teams are essential for this role;
- Must have monitoring and evaluation, Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA), and knowledge management skills;
- Must have English fluency and working proficiency in French.
How to apply
Applications and updated CVs should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, under the title: DRS 11470, Chief of Party. Due to the high number of applications received, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to the client’s procedures.