The USAID-funded Morodok Baitang project in Cambodia, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (www.tetratech.com/intdev), is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Cashew Agroforestry Systems Feasibility Consultant to identify the agroforestry potential of cashew-based agroforestry systems in project sites throughout Cambodia. The position will be remote from the candidate’s home office with required visits to Cambodia.
The Feasibiltiy Consultant will identify and assess the feasibility of agroforestry systems that are compatible with organic/wildlife-friendly cashews or other organic/wildlife- friendly tree crops (e.g. Banana) and can contribute to the achievement of conservation results in the project landscapes. This analysis will help to better understand the components of organic cashew- or other tree-based agroforestry systems, the biophysical conditions needed for viability of these systems, and vulnerabilities of the systems to climate change. This information will help to inform an agroforestry master plan for each landscape. The study will be conducted in two phases with Phase I examining the feasibility of agroforestry systems in the region and Phase II assessing a path of transition from chamka or cassava to organic agroforestry systems. The assignment will take place between August 15, 2022 and October 31, 2022.
* Design a methodology to rapidly assess existing cashew production in Keo Seima by interviewing local experts and surveying existing literature to determine local species compatible with organic cashew agroforestry systems; develop a preliminary workplan that includes deliverables.
* Design a methodology to rapidly assess the potential to transition from cassava to other keystone agroforestry crops promoted by USAID Morodok Baitang (e.g. cashew).
* Travel to the project sites and undertake a rapid assessment to determine production hotspots, potential and possible locations for a phased transition to an organic, diversified and resilient agroforestry system; also assess why some farmers have adopted the system and others have not.
* Draft a report of findings that includes current production characteristics and precise challenges associated with cashew (Phase I).
* Draft and finalize a report of findings that outlines the potential to transition to an organic, conservation-friendly agroforestry system and a road map for transition for different systems based on elevations, existing tree cover, soil type and farmer investment (Phase II).
*A highly relevant Master’s degree or PhD in tropical agroforestry with proven track record of implementation and scaling.
*A minimum of five years post-qualification experience relevant to the responsibilities above with experience in the region strongly preferred; experience working in the private sector is a distinct advantage.
* Experience working with USAID projects is an advantage.
* Experience gathering input and perspectives from diverse stakeholders within government, NGOs, and communities.
* Written and spoken fluency in English. Knowledge of Khmer or other languages in use in project sites is a plus.
*Sound knowledge and understanding of agricultural production and value chains in the region, for domestic and international markets.
How to apply
To be considered, applicants must submit the following as part of the online process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Apply online at: https://bit.ly/CASFCCambodia
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.