The Syria Campaign is looking for a creative and strategic campaigner to drive and deliver effective campaigns to expose human rights abuses, push for justice, fight against impunity for war crimes, and build power behind Syria’s grassroots and civil society groups whose vision we share for a free and democratic Syria.
The campaigner will join a small, talented, and globally-distributed team. This is a full-time, remote position that can be done anywhere within European and Middle Eastern timezones. Those in Berlin will have the option to work from our small office there.
Application deadline: February 7, 2023
About The Syria Campaign
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving, and powerful human rights organization that is building new ways for digital and creative communications to have impact. Our mission is to elevate the voices and demands of Syrian grassroots and civil society in the struggle for freedom and justice. We partner with groups and activists inside and outside Syria.
Eleven years since the Syrian people took to the streets to demand freedom and democracy, there are still millions of civilians at risk of military attacks, hundreds of thousands of people remain arbitrarily detained and forcibly disappeared, and there has been no accountability for the victims and survivors. The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.You can read about some of what we’ve done here, here, and here.
About the campaigner position
The ideal candidate is committed to defending human rights and resisting authoritarianism, has an understanding of the Syrian conflict and civil society landscape, has digital campaigning and mobilization expertise, is an excellent writer who’s motivated by telling the stories of those most impacted by the conflict, is comfortable working in coalitions and with partners, is excited to learn about new tools and tactics, and is flexible and comfortable delivering compelling content under tight timelines.
- Developing and implementing campaigns working with the campaigns team to support The Syria Campaign’s goals and plans
- Creating high quality campaign materials including writing compelling emails and social media posts, mobilizing our supporters to take action in solidarity with our partners’ demands, and collaborating with designers, video editors, and developers to create graphics, videos, and websites
- Organizing and coordinating events and actions that shed a spotlight on human rights abuses in Syria and influence decision makers to meet the demand of our Syrian civil society partners
- Representing The Syria Campaign. Developing and maintaining relationships with individuals and coalitions at human rights and civil society groups, organizing meetings with decision makers and stakeholders around specific campaign asks, and acting as a media spokesperson when needed.
- Generating ideas for digital campaign tactics and tools to maintain and grow our online supporter base
- Running rapid-response campaigns that adapt to breaking news and partners’ needs
- Supporting the campaign and comms team as needed
- Proven experience delivering campaigns using online, media, coalition and offline tactics, that have impact
- Proven experience within advocacy, storytelling, digital campaigning, or content creation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Arabic. Ability to distill complex stories and policies into compelling language that drives action and engagement across a variety of platforms and audiences
- Understanding of how international media, civic advocacy, and public campaigning function
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in highly collaborative environments
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, including with fellow teammates, coalitions, and NGO partners
- Familiarity with the Syrian context, commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria, and global justice and human rights more broadly
- Ability to work on a remote team across multiple time zones. This requires the ability both to work independently and to collaborate virtually
- Experience using digital tools like ActionKit and WordPress [desirable]
- Experience working with video editors and graphic designers [desirable]
We encourage applicants who have some but not all of these qualifications to apply, and we are committed to providing on the job training in areas where you may need to gain more experience.
The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive, and motivated. Here’s how we do that:
Salary is competitive and in line with international organizations.
The job is remote and can be done anywhere in Middle Eastern or European time zones. We provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected.
We provide budget, time, and support for your professional development.
We give 25 days of leave a year, public holidays, and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family friendly parental leave policies.
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send a CV to email@example.com with a cover letter describing your interest in the role and why you’re the ideal candidate. Please put ‘Campaigner’ in the email subject line.
Application deadline: February 7, 2023