Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Location: Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cote D’Ivoire, DRC, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Jordan, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Niger, Pakistan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, or the US.
Summary of Role:
The Business Development Advisor partners with internal teams and external partners to ensure implementation of the new business lifecycle, including pre-positioning, proposal development and leveraging results. Leads critical discussions with global technical leadership in developing new business opportunities and securing funding from foundations, corporations, governments, and other multi-lateral donors (e.g., UN agencies, World Bank, Global Fund). Focuses efforts on diversification of institutional donors while ensuring a growth rate that maximizes the organization’s impact. Cultivates, solicits, and stewards institutional donors. Identifies and negotiates strategic partnerships with international and local (i.e., target country) non-profit and for-profit agencies and organizations. Identifies new funding opportunities. On specific opportunities will work with other teams to advise on strategic decisions affecting program strategic directions and partnering opportunities.
**Proposal Development Process:**Leads Pathfinder’s proposal development process including responses to competitive bids for government, foundation, and corporate grants. Reviews and edits technical proposals. Develops management and staffing plans for project proposals. Ensures that cost proposals are in line with technical proposals and adhere to donor regulations and RFA guidelines.
Program Research and Design: Plays a role in program design and conceptualizes and coordinates global program development activities to align with donor priorities. Continually identifies and explores potential new donors and funding opportunities for both restricted and unrestricted grants
Positioning, Capture and Pipeline Development: Provides support to a portfolio of countries to position the organization for new funding opportunities and to build a healthy pipeline for the medium- and long-term sustainability of Pathfinder country offices.
Status Reports: Reviews key programmatic and financial reports, to ensure alignment with donor requirements
Grants Process Monitoring: Supports the monitoring of the grant progress, both programmatic and financial, to ensure that donor expectations and requirements are met.
Institutional Donor Strategic and Annual Planning: Supports the development and implementation of institutional strategy, which may include a programmatic growth area or a geographic focus. Develops effective solicitation strategies for institutional donors to grow institutional support to underwrite global program development goals. Works closely with leadership and other internal staff in the planning and conceptualization of program development activities, and conducts research, writing, and review of funding proposals for foundations and corporations.
Partnerships: Utilizes extensive contacts and relationships with outside organizations to identify partnership opportunities. Leads partnership negotiations with international and local organizations, develops Scopes of Work (SOWs), and reviews teaming agreements. Continually broadens and strengthens relationships with partners and internal counterparts to gain trust and respect.
Brand Ambassador: Represents Pathfinder International at assigned conferences and meetings, builds, and strengthens relationships with partners, outside organizations and donors. Provides representation to USAID, MOHs, international and local partners, other donors, and organizations
Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages, or participates on cross functional project teams.
Required Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, Communication, Marketing, Business Administration, or related field.
- 4-8 years related experience, including experience in business development.
- Experience working with a multinational organization
- Experience leading global staff and vendors
- Proven ability to write, read and speak using English language
- Professional to native fluency level of spoken, written, and reading French required.
- Experience living or working in countries where Pathfinder works that aids in the understanding of program context, field realities, and technical needs
- Experience writing proposals for US Agency for International Development (USAID), other US government agencies (i.e., CDC), private foundational donors, and non-US donors; prefer experience with corporate partnerships
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other customer relationship management (CRM) systems and donor database
Preferred Competence and Work Experience:
- Funding Sources: Advanced knowledge of US Government donor agencies (e.g., USAID, CDC, State Department), non-US donor agencies, foundations, and corporations as potential funding sources.
- Proposal Development and Writing: Proven ability to lead, develop and deliver winning proposals.
- Diverse Funding Mechanisms: Knowledge of diverse funding mechanisms, with particular emphasis on large foundations, European donors, FCDO, and pursuit of corporate partnerships.
- Regulations: Advanced knowledge of USG and USAID rules and regulations.
- Networking: Proven ability to network and manage multiple, complex pursuits.
- Fundraising Principles and Practices: Advanced knowledge of corporate and foundation fundraising, including standards and guidelines for writing proposals and managing overall corporate and foundation solicitation efforts.
- Research and Development: Proven ability to stay abreast of current issues, emerging funding trends, and research in SRHR.
- Reporting: Proven ability to read and interpret data for proven ability to generate and present standard reports.
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS PowerPoint, Excel, Mastery of knowledge of Adobe Acrobat.
- Problem-Solving: Proven ability to develop and present tailored solutions to specific needs and situations.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Uses cellular and office phone, laptop, or desktop computer.
- May lead the proposal development process on major high value efforts.
- May represent Pathfinder to donors and outside agencies at different venues, some in partnership with technical or executive leadership.
- At least 35%
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Pathfinder International provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Safeguarding and Protection
Pathfinder is committed to the safeguarding and protection of the people we serve and our staff. We have zero tolerance for any type of behavior that inflicts harm on children, young people, adults, our staff, and partners including sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, and exploitation. We do everything possible to ensure that we recruit only those who are suitable to work with for us and expect that everyone we hire will abide by our safeguarding and related policies and will report any suspected or known violations. This job is subject to a range of vetting checks as legally permitted in the country where they are being hired. By applying, the job applicant acknowledges they understand our intent to verify suitability to work with us.
How to apply
Please apply from our website – https://recruiting.ultipro.com/PAT1012PATH/JobBoard/39cd1fd5-010e-4cba-b70e-a30ea3163220/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=ec673905-465c-47a6-ace2-4fb535f2ee90