Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
In March 2022, Oxfam launched its response to the influx of refugees and other people forced to flee from Ukraine in Romania, Moldova and Poland. A Programme Management Unit (PMU) has been established to provide leadership, oversee, support and provide technical assistance to the response in the affected countries.
The PMU will be led by an Operational Lead and includes dedicated advocacy and influencing capacity; business support functions, and a programme quality team with technical support on gender in emergencies, protection, cash and voucher programming, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL), and safeguarding.
Poland / Romania / Moldova Programmes.
Oxfam is supporting a partner-led humanitarian response for the assistance and protection of refugees and other vulnerable people from Ukraine and the communities, organisations and authorities that are hosting and supporting them in neighbouring countries. The response is strongly driven by the protection needs of refugees and the need for national organisations and authorities to be supporting in scaling up for the refugee response, delivering quality protection support, as well as advocacy for the rights and protection of all refugees and people on the move needing protection.
- In collaboration with Ukraine crisis response team, partners and allies, and the confederation, lead the development and management of Oxfam’s influencing and communication strategy for the Ukraine crisis and refugee response, managing advocacy, campaigns, policy, and contributing to communications and media work. Ensure that the Ukraine crisis response programme delivers coherent policy, influencing and communication, built on programming, cognisant of risk and relevant to the country, regional and global context.
Location: Remote work with frequent travel to Ukraine Response Countries (at least 80% of time in response countries)
Job Type: Fixed Term, 1 year
- Work as overall Advocacy, campaigns and engagement (ACE) manager for the Ukraine crisis response. Drawing together support as appropriate from across the confederation, building and co-developing influencing strategies, and ensuring that influencing work is focused on achieving practical impact.
- Coordinate across affiliates, country teams, global humanitarian team, EU office, NY Office and other teams engaged in the Ukraine crisis, to ensure advocacy, campaigns and policy resources are available at an appropriate level, coherence, and risk management. Steering campaigns, advocacy, media and policy outputs in line with Oxfam’s existing positions and strategies.
- Lead the development and implementation of an influencing and communication strategy and action plans for the Ukraine crisis – as much as possible through a partner-led approach – in close coordination with Oxfam partners and country teams in Ukraine and neighbouring countries where Oxfam is responding. Analysing power relations and identifying influencing opportunities, in coordination with other colleagues at regional, affiliate and international level along with partners and allies.
- Design and lead a process in which partners receive demand-driven support from Oxfam to empower them and enhance their influencing abilities at local, country and international level, as relevant
- Representing the organization in external meetings, advising Oxfam spokespeople ahead of external meetings.
- Work closely with key programme staff to ensure strategic influencing at global, regional and national levels, including supporting policy and advocacy colleagues to work with programme colleagues to deliver their products to the highest standards.
- Working collaboratively across the confederation at every level –country, regional, affiliate and advocacy offices -to align, where possible, influencing, income and engagement objectives in influencing and campaigning activity.
- Managing the campaigns in an anti-racist, intersectional feminist and supportive manner, in line with Oxfam’s values.
Experience, Knowledge & Competencies
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment
- Strong knowledge of global humanitarian and conflict issues, particularly those related to displacement, protection of civilians, refugee law, food crisis, and impacts on women and girls.
- Strong experience and understanding of developing accurate power analysis, advocacy strategies, and models and theories of change, including awareness of political sensitivities.
- Excellent communications and facilitation skills, with strong understanding of leadership in complex group dynamics.
- Demonstrable organisational and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines
- Excellent understanding of, commitment to and experience of embedding and continuously learning to embed a decolonial, anti-racist, intersectional feminist and partner led approach in your work.
- Strong strategic leadership skills.
- Experience of being an organisational spokesperson.
- Knowledge/experience of the context of Ukraine and surrounding countries
- Understanding of inequality and gender justice issues
- Experience working with partner organisations, applying a partner-led approach
- Lived experiences with intersecting systems of oppression, with knowledge and experience of how power and privilege play out in the contexts we work in.